Re: [Xen-users] Research -> do participate.....

To: anant <ANigam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Research -> do participate.....
From: Hugo Mills <hugo-xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:15:16 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 03:24:16 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 02:55:19AM -0800, anant wrote:
> I am having Fedora core 6 as a host and XEN 3.0.3 and after a lot of tries i
> was able to install SuSE 10 on top of XEN and that too i have to start using
> command in terminal. It doesnt start when i do it from VMM.
> Anyway , when i tried to install windows OS on top of it, immediately after
> setup completes VM disappear and then i cant even open it using command
> line. Only blank screen appears.
> I choosed FC6 and XEN 3.0.3 because XEN was included in the installation of
> FC6 and i dont have interent for that system to install it after host OS
> installation.
> May be there is some problem with this version.

   The number of people who have it working would tend to suggest that
there's either some problem with the specific packages that you're
using, or there's a problem with your hardware, or there's something
that you haven't understood. From here, it's hard to tell which at the
moment -- it could even be some combination of the three.

> And about my processor..yeh it is fully virtualized intel VT PRO....as
> follows
>
> [root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
> flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36
> clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pni
> monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm

   This looks OK. You have the VMX flag.

> I dont think its because of memory as i try with one VM at a time ...so SuSE
> was successful but not windows .
>
> Now what do you guys say about my system hardware and all....is it allright
> to have win xp on top of xen or not.

   Seems to be OK.

> If there is no problem with the processor then i might try this time with
> some different host and xen version.

   It's possible there's a problem with your hardware (some BIOSes
turn VMX off), but it's hard to tell with what you've posted here.
Please give us the output of "xm info", the domain config file you're
using, and the contents of the relevant /var/log/xen/qemu-dm.<n>.log
file from starting your Windows VM (i.e. start then VM, then look for
the qemu-dm log file with the most recent datestamp).

> Is there any other version of linux which incude XEN with its installation.

   Debian and Ubuntu both have Xen packages. I had the Debian ones
working (briefly) last night.

> This time i wanna try with that OS which is already been tested.
> If there is no other OS which include XEN then is there any other way to
> have XEN if you dont have internet connection like by copying xen on cd or
> something.....

   I would suggest trying to build Xen from source, as it's what
worked for me. You can get the source by installing mercurial, and
using:

$ mkdir xen && cd xen
$ hg init
$ hg pull http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-3.0.4-testing.hg
$ hg update

then tar up the whole directory, copy it to the system you're trying
to set up, and build it using the instructions included. You will also
need a 2.6.16.33 kernel tarball, python, the python development
package(s), and a couple of other development packages (but you will
be told about those if they're missing when you try to build it).

   If you do build from source, make sure that you remove all
Xen-related packages from your install first, otherwise you could end
up with the wrong version of the device model, and nothing will work.

   Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
             --- No names... I want to remain anomalous. ---