Re: [Xen-users] RE: Research -> do participate.....

To: anant <ANigam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RE: Research -> do participate.....
From: Hugo Mills <hugo-xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:04:34 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 08:24:18 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 07:39:20AM -0800, anant wrote:

> I dont understand what you are trying to say here.
> My simple question was is it possible to have windows XP on top of XEN or
> not. If it is possible then i want to know who  have successfully
> implemented it and how. Have you installed WIndows on top of XEN or you just
> say what you read.

Hardware: Dell Latitude D820, Core 2 Duo 7400 CPU.
Software: Debian Testing (etch), Xen 3.0.3, Windows XP SP2.

> These are two different things.
> So if you have really implemented it then i would be pleased to know how you
> achieved that install . If not then that documentation is probably right
> which says its release is due in coming year by march.

   I installed Xen from the source available in the main Xen mercurial
repository. The kernel for my dom0 was built using "make mkpatches" in
the Xen source directory, and applying the resulting patch to the
relevant linux kernel tree. My only problems have been (a) a failed
attempt at installing an earlier version of Xen had left behind a copy
of the qemu-dm, which meant that I couldn't boot a domain at all, and
(b) an ongoing problem with the networking scripts (see my posts to
this list for details -- it shouldn't stop you from installing Windows
in the first place, though).

   Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
   --- I spent most of my money on drink, women and fast cars. The ---
                      rest I wasted.  -- James Hunt