RE: [Xen-users] Improve performance of domain U

To: "'saptarshi naha'" <naha80@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Improve performance of domain U
From: "Steffen Heil" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 00:07:41 +0200
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 15:07:32 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi

> Now the question is with swap being on the LVM(/dev/sda2),
> will there be any problem with my migration using GNBD? I am
> running my GNBD on the domain 0 and export the drives and
> then import on the other server.

Correct. You will not be able to live-migrate such a domain.
That's why I wrote:

> If you need to make sure, you can live-swap you domU to another host, you
need to do that [use GNBD].

But I suggest having swap on lvm/sda anyway and if you NEED to migrate,
temporary move "swapon" another swap partition (on GNBD), and "swapoff" the
(lvm/sda). After migration "swap back".

Swap on network-backed devices is inherently slow and you should not use
that on systems that need to be performant.

Regards,
  Steffen