Re: [Xen-users] Improve performance of domain U

To: "Hans de Hartog" <dehartog@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Improve performance of domain U
From: "saptarshi naha" <naha80@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 09:51:42 +0530
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 21:22:25 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Hans , I thinking of doing HA on 2 physical different servers after
running xen. I havent completely figured yest, but I am guessing that
both servers should be running xen , 1 being master and other being
slave. As soon the master VM fails on 1 server through heartbeat slave
VM from other server kicks in and is able to take over.

I wanted to know if anyone done DRBD and wanted to know its
performance  and also layering block devices?

On 9/6/06, Hans de Hartog <dehartog@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
saptarshi naha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am about to try DRBD with HEATBEAT for High Availability.
> Has anyone done that? How to layer it? I have LVM then GNBD.
>
> How is performance of DRBD? Is there a better method than DRBD to do HA
> in xen?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just starting with
xen and I just googled for BRDB but my experience with
HA could not refrain me from the following remarks:

If you're into HA, the first rule is: eliminate SPOFs
(Single Points Of Failure). Your physical box IS a SPOF.
So, running more operating systems on a single box (xen)
does not give you more availability (on the contrary, the
more dom's you're running, the more dom's die if your box
dies).
Therefore, using DRBD within xen-domains on the same physical
box doesn't give you more availablity either.
In general, (IMHO) xen buys you nothing for HA.

Thanks,
Naha