Re: [Xen-users] Improve performance of domain U

To: "Steffen Heil" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Improve performance of domain U
From: "saptarshi naha" <naha80@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 20:01:32 +0530
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 07:32:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey,

> I will create the swap using LVM and GNBD and then pass the
> swap partition using /dev/sda2 through configuration files.
> Correct me if am wrong.

If you need to make sure, you can live-swap you domU to another host, you
need to do that.
However, if you use GNBD for live mirror as backup purpose, you should not
put swap there. Swap needs really fast access and network-backed devices
tend not to be so fast...

So if I understand correctly, if i use GNBD i should not put swap.
Does iSCSI work better then GNBD and would I be able to put swap and
improve performance?

> Is it possible to do windows installation on Xen with Xeon
> processors but without dual core? I search on the intel site
> and xensource but there is no mention for JUST xeon processor
> have intel VT techonology.

I don't have VT and I don't know about XEON, but AFAIK there is a output
while booting Xen that shows processor flags and you should see it there.
Moreover, you need to have a VT-enabled bios with Intel processors, so have
a look there.

> If it is not possible, Is there any way of doing windows
> virtualization i can try?

Bochs, VMWare, etc. Not with pure Xen without VT.

Yeah I check for VMX in the dmesg but it was not there. Also I checked
the BIOS to enable any intelVT through that, but there was none. I
want to make windows 2k3 run through xen.

Also I wanted to know if there are any good xen managment tool
available. I got enomalism. Has anyone tried this? Or is there any
other good xen management tool?

Thanks,
Naha