RE: [Xen-devel] Reducing I/O introduced domain scheduling

To: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Reducing I/O introduced domain scheduling
From: "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 15:19:45 +0800
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@xxxxxxxxx>, "Zhang, Xiantao" <xiantao.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 00:24:32 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 12/10/2010 02:12, "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Keir:
>> When running vConsolidation on top of Xen in  a 4-core platform, we
>> noticed the I/O introduced scheduling per CPU is ~3K Hz, which seems
>> to be too frequent and cause frequent involve of domain 0 / Qemu,
>> which may polute cache of the guest and thus increase CPI (cycle per
>> instruction).
>>
>> We are thinking if we can reduce the domin switch here, and think
>> the output of I/O can be buffered and return immediately. The
>> buffered I/O can be flushed out at next IN emulation (or any
>> Hypervisor emulated I/O) or timeout such as 10 or 100 us to
>> guarantee minimal response.
>>
>> Ideally it can cover both PIO & MMIO, but we can start from PIO.
>>
>> How do you think of that?
>
> First of all have you tested with PV drivers? Performance tests with
> no PV drivers are not that interesting.

We used PV driver as more as possible, however the C disk in Windows guest
doesn't support PV yet. (A task in BIOS side or Win HAL side?)

> Apart from that this sounds like a generalisation of the buffered-i/o
> mechanism we already have for svga emulation. I suppose it might be
> plausible.

It is generic, similar to SVGA, but the timeout in generic I/O may be much
smaller than display stuff, if a guest is waiting for an interrupt after
several OUT instruction.

>  -- Keir

Thx, Eddie