Re: [Xen-devel] New kernel won't boot

To: "Gregory Newby" <newby@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] New kernel won't boot
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:54:33 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:55:27 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Can you send us the output from 'dmesg' for a normal Linux (not
> > Xenolinux!) running on the problem machine? Actually all we need are
> > the lines:
> >  BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
> >   BIOS-e820: ...
> >   BIOS-e820: ...
>
> That line didn't appear in my dmesg output.  Here is /proc/meminfo,
> running 2.4.18-64GB-SMP:

If those lines don't appear in your dmesg output then your memory does
not contain any holes, so that is not the problem.

I suspect that you may have tried to boot a Xenolinux 1.0 image on a
Xen 1.1 or Xen 1.2 system. Unfortunately there is no versioning on the
guest-OS interface at the moment (I really ought to add some as it's
rather a waste of people's time if they make this mistake).

As Ian says: try running xeno-clone 'from scratch', getting it to pull
and build all images for you. By default it will pull and build Xen
1.0. If you want 1.1 or the unstable 1.2 trees then try:
 xen-clone bk://xen.bkbits.net/xeno-1.1.bk
or
 xen-clone bk://xen.bkbits.net/xeno-unstable.bk

 -- Keir