Re: [Xen-devel] New kernel won't boot

To: "Gregory Newby" <newby@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] New kernel won't boot
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 08:34:58 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 08:36:45 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Ok....you saw the details of how I re-built in my prior message in
> this thread.

I suspect that running xen-clone in the directory where you did
will actually have just pulled and rebuilt a brand new repository
rather than rebuilding the one you'd edited :-(

> My grub boot (same as before, but with console=xencons0)
>
> grub> root (hd0,0)
> grub> kernel /xenimage.gz dom0_mem=100000 ser_baud=115200 noht noreboot
>
> [output saying "yep, looks like a Multiboot ELF"]
>
> grub> module /xenolinux.gz root=/dev/sda2 ro console=xencons0 DOMID=0
>
> [output saying, "yep, it's a module"]
>
> The result was the exact same boot I had before -- no extra debugging.
> The final lines before death:
>
>       Device eth0 opened and ready for use
>       DOM0: Guest OS virtual load address is c0000000

So to summarise:

 If you do the exact same sequence of grub steps with the xen and
xenolinux images from the CD it works fine, but fails with the
ones you build yourself.

Please could you pull and try these two images from the unstable
tree that I've just built for you:

 http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/iap10/temp/xenolinux.gz
 http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/iap10/temp/image.gz

If these fail, please can you do as Keir suggests and boot a
standard Linux kernel and send us the boot output, in particular
anything relating to e820 messages.

Thanks,
Ian