Re: [Xen-devel] New kernel won't boot

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:52:43AM +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> > I thought the bootable image is here (which is what I just re-copied
> > to http://peabody.arsc.edu/xen/boot/xenimage.gz):
> >     xeno-unstable.bk/xeno-clone/xenolinux-2.4.22/arch/xeno/boot/image.gz
> >
> > and the xenolinux file is:
> >     xeno-unstable.bk/xeno-clone/install/boot/xenolinux.gz
> >
> > So if this isn't right, where the heck is the kernel image???
>
> We chose rather unsuitable names for the image files. In fact both Xen
> and Xenolinux compile to image.gz within their respective trees,
> although Xenolinux's image is renamed when it's installed in
> install/boot. I can easily change that for the development trees so
> I'll sort that out....
>
> To build Xen, from within the xeno-clone directory you need to:
>  cd xeno-1.0.bk
>  make install
>
> You should then find a Xen image.gz file in xeno-clone/install/boot. This
> same file also resides at xeno-clone/xeno-1.0.bk/xen/image.gz.
>
> xeno-xlone/xenolinux-2.4.22/arch/xeno/boot/image.gz is /not/ a Xen
> image file; it's a Xenolinux image file (it's the same as
> xeno-clone/install/boot/xenolinux.gz, in fact).

Ok, I was able to do this successfully.  Thanks!  It definitely wasn't
obvious from the README.CD, though I should have noticed the
Makefile in the xeno-clone directory.  I was basically
messing around in the xenolinux-2.4.22 subdirectory, like
it was a "regular" kernel build.

Now, I'm back at the original problem, which is the same as
for the image.gz and xenoimage.gz from the 1.0 CD image:

- I'm able to boot image.gz via Grub (I renamed image.gz to xenimage.gz):
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /xenimage.gz dom0_mem=512000 ser_baud=115000 noht
        module /xenolinux.gz root=/dev/sda2 ro console=/dev/tty0 DOMID=0

- It looks like the kernel loads successfully, including
  SCSI & network drivers

- There is a message about "guest OS address is 0x0c000000"
  then my system reboots.  Unfortunately, I cannot catch the
  exact message because it's gone too quickly.

I'm thinking either something is missing (like an initrd) or
it's looking for programs in /bin or /usr/bin that were not
installed (the "make install" in xeno-clone makes some binaries,
but just leaves them in the install/bin directories).

I'm motivated to try to solve this problem, so I don't need
to buy Virtuozzo ;-)   So, I hope you are able to provide
some guidance.  I'll try to help you tune the documentation,
at the same time....

My application, BTW, is Grid services deployment (I'm co-chair
of one of the working groups at http://www.gridforum.org).
  -- Greg