Re: [Xen-devel] New kernel won't boot

To: "Gregory Newby" <newby@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] New kernel won't boot
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 00:52:43 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 00:53:22 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I thought the bootable image is here (which is what I just re-copied
> to http://peabody.arsc.edu/xen/boot/xenimage.gz):
>       xeno-unstable.bk/xeno-clone/xenolinux-2.4.22/arch/xeno/boot/image.gz
>
> and the xenolinux file is:
>       xeno-unstable.bk/xeno-clone/install/boot/xenolinux.gz
>
> So if this isn't right, where the heck is the kernel image???

We chose rather unsuitable names for the image files. In fact both Xen
and Xenolinux compile to image.gz within their respective trees,
although Xenolinux's image is renamed when it's installed in
install/boot. I can easily change that for the development trees so
I'll sort that out....

To build Xen, from within the xeno-clone directory you need to:
 cd xeno-1.0.bk
 make install

You should then find a Xen image.gz file in xeno-clone/install/boot. This
same file also resides at xeno-clone/xeno-1.0.bk/xen/image.gz.

xeno-xlone/xenolinux-2.4.22/arch/xeno/boot/image.gz is /not/ a Xen
image file; it's a Xenolinux image file (it's the same as
xeno-clone/install/boot/xenolinux.gz, in fact).

> I already tried to boot from:
>       xeno-unstable.bk/xeno-clone/xenolinux-2.4.22/vmlinux (or vmlinux.gz),
> but from the "make bzImage" it seems that the image.gz is simply the
> vmlinux with the multiboot bytes prepended.  Neither will work
> via the "grub> kernel /FILENAME" command

vmlinux is not directly bootable or usable -- ignore it.

 -- Keir