Re: [Xen-devel] New kernel won't boot

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 08:35:51AM +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:

> > > For grub with 'noreboot' it goes through the whole boot
> > > process, identifies the SCSI drives and network:
> > >
> > > Device eth0 opened and ready for use
> > > DOM0: Guest OS virtual load address is c0000000
> >
> > This is a weird one -- we haven't seen anyone else with this problem.
> >
> > Things are going wrong very early in the dom0 boot process.
> >
> > Please could you go into xenolinux-2.4.22/kernel/printk.c and
> > "#if 1" the HYPERVISOR_console_write in printk. hopefully this
> > will produce a bit more debug output before the xenolinux
> > explodes.

Ok....you saw the details of how I re-built in my prior message in
this thread.

I added:

8. I went to the kernel directory, and built the kernel from scratch:
        cd xeno-clone/xenolinux-2.4.22
(edited .config to add ReiserFS support)

Did the following:

> Do the following:
>  1. Change 'console=tty0' to 'console=xencons0'
>  2. '#if 1' the HYPERVISOR_console_write line in
>     xenolinux/kernel/printk.c
>  3. Edit xen/common/kernel.c:putchar_console() to remove the initial
>       if ( !opt_console ) return;

then:
        make dep
        make
        make modules
        (as root) make modules_install (but there were none)
        make bzImage

        cd ../.. (to xeno-clone)
        make install
then copied in the new image.gz (xenolinux.gz was unchanged)

My grub boot (same as before, but with console=xencons0)

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> kernel /xenimage.gz dom0_mem=100000 ser_baud=115200 noht noreboot

[output saying "yep, looks like a Multiboot ELF"]

grub> module /xenolinux.gz root=/dev/sda2 ro console=xencons0 DOMID=0

[output saying, "yep, it's a module"]

The result was the exact same boot I had before -- no extra debugging.
The final lines before death:

        Device eth0 opened and ready for use
        DOM0: Guest OS virtual load address is c0000000

Other ideas are welcome!
  -- Greg