Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-usersl] Xen 2.6.18.8 Kernel tree on Ubuntu Kamic

To: Tej <bewith.tej@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-usersl] Xen 2.6.18.8 Kernel tree on Ubuntu Kamic
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 15:48:02 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 05:48:26 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 05:48:58PM +0530, Tej wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 11:14:40AM +0530, Tej wrote:
> >> All,
> >>
> >> Recently I have tried Xen 3.4.1 (even xen-unstable.hg) and Linux
> >> 2.6.18.8 tree on new ubuntyu karmic koala.
> >> I have tried this combination on different machine AMD64, intel i386,
> >> but every time I boot process is stop at
> >>
> >> "Waiting for root file system" , After some time the promt drops to
> >> initramfs shell.
> >
> > Well.. it either means the driver for your SATA controller is not
> > loaded, the driver is misbehaving or the driver is too old to actually
> > support the controller.
>
> Fine.
>

> >> I am sure the problem is not due to NOT selecting prooper SATA
> >> controller or something ike that.....
> >>

> > You should enable/configure serial console and capture the full xen and
> > dom0 kernel boot logs so we can see what's wrong..
>
> I will try get boot logs ASAP, however i guess netconsole is a better option.

Netconsole cannot capture Xen hypervisor boot messages.. since it's only
activated later when dom0 Linux kernel is loaded.

> > that's the easiest way to troubleshoot the problem.
> >
> >> I have tried similar hardware configuration with Xen on Jaunty it
> >> works without any problem.
> >> I am just wondering why it is refusing to work on Karmic, possible reasons.
> >> 1. gcc 4.4
> >> 2. make version
> >> 3. your thoughts please????
> >>
> >> I have tried pvops kernel, it works but I need 2.6.18.8 tree so any
> >> thoughts???
> >>

> > Any particular reason for that?
> >
> > Have you considered the novell/opensuse forward-ported 2.6.18 patches for
> > 2.6.3x?
> >
> > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenDom0Kernels
>
> Ok, I think I am not clearly spelling out the problem.
>
> 1. Xen with Linux 2.6.18.8 on AMD64 hardware. OS: Ubuntu Jaunty.
> Everything is working fine.
> 2. Xen with Linux 2.6.18.8 on *Same* AMD64 hardware. OS: Ubuntu
> Karmic. Boot process fails with error Waiting for filesystem
>

> Difference between 1 and 2 are *only* OS. Nothing else same
> configuration, same Hardware, same Kernel (however i didn't check with
> particular revision).
>
> Why problem exist, it could be GCC and Make new version??? or ???

Ok.

Maybe it's the different revision of dom0 kernel then? gcc/make
_shouldn't_ make any difference.. unless there are some compiler
specific bugs.

-- Pasi