RE: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.0 Status update

To: "Scott Parish" <srparish@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.0 Status update
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:39:46 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:38:19 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> >  * Intel would get the standard s/w iommu working (just a case of
> > ensuring we have a machine contiguous aperture beloe 4GB --
> the Linux
> > code currently uses the boot mem allocator rather than using
> > alloc_coherent, so it will need a little tweaking)
>
> Yeah, i haven't had much luck so far.

I don't really understand why the aperture is allocated so early. I
suspect its not actually used until the normal bootmem allocator is up.

The slightly more fundamental problem is that we need a <4GB allocation
zone in Xen, but since allocating the apperture is only currently an
issue for dom0 it won't actually be a problem in practice. (something we
need to address before driver domains come back)

Ian