RE: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.0 Status update

To: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Scott Parish" <srparish@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.0 Status update
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:35:06 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:33:41 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> >  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~iap10/temp/xen-summit-2005-07.ppt
>
> The slides show >4g in green, and i'm pretty sure that's not quite the

> case until we get bounce buffers or iommu working.

Keir checked some bounce buffer support in a while back
(dma_map_single). It's largely untested, though.

However, at the summit we agreed that:

 * Intel would get the standard s/w iommu working (just a case of
ensuring we have a machine contiguous aperture beloe 4GB -- the Linux
code currently uses the boot mem allocator rather than using
alloc_coherent, so it will need a little tweaking)

 * AMD would test gart support. Should just work...

Since the vast majority of server platforms have hardware that is >4GB
DMA capable, it might not actually be such a big deal in practice. The
biggest pain is probably dumb SATA controllers. We definitely need more
test coverage.

Ian