Re: [Xen-users] strange error masseages in xen

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Mike Mildner
<m.mildner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> What is the contents of your domU config file
>
> hm, thats it. kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
> and hvmloader was not there. dam! but why can't xen say: "hvmloader not
> found in /usr/lib/xen/boot..."?
> so i delete the complete source tree and rebuild now from scratch. stay
> tuned... ;-)

Just a guess, but I think it won't work :)
hvmloader is used to create HVM guests. e.g. Fully-virtualized guests,
like for Windows domU. For that to work, you need some additional
stuff, like specifying which qemu device model to use, etc.

At this point you need to stop to think what you're trying to do :
(1) Create a new dom0 system.
For this you (probably) need to recompile xen. But since you say you
inherited this system, chances are you need to keep it running. Which
is why I don't think you need this.
(2) Create a HVM linux domU
In this case, the best way to proceed is to copy your working Windows
domU config and start from there. If your original "working" system
also has "kernel = /usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader" line, then it's also a
HVM domU. Note that this will also explain why the original system
works even without modifying inittab : HVM domU does not have a serial
console by default, you access it using vnc to domU's tty1. In this
case you won't nee da -xen kernel, you only need a normal kernel.
(3) Create a PV Linux domU
Depending on what you're trying to do, you might need to recompile a
xen kernel for domU. But again, depending on what you're trying to do,
the module might not be available for a xenified kernel. Examples of
such modules : VMWare or Virtualbox kernel module.

In any case, good luck!

Regards,

Fajar