Re: [Xen-users] The real 0.6.5 release of Windows PV drivers

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] The real 0.6.5 release of Windows PV drivers
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 19:05:07 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 16:05:45 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Monday 04 February 2008 12:16:19 am James Harper wrote:
> > Other than the same info that was in the BSOD, there was a few references
>> to things like: "The device, \Device\Scsi\XenVbd1, did not respond within
>> the timeout period.'.
> Is that the cdrom?

You would know better than I, since it is a XenVbd device, but the '1' would
lead me to guess it is the cdrom.

> When windows doesn't get an answer in a reasonable time, it starts
> issuing bus resets. That code path is not very well tested... and there
> are at lease two reports of performance problems with physical cdrom
> devices (eg /dev/hdc). Possibly the bus reset problem is causing other
> problems like crashes under load?

To be complete, there are two log msgs in a row, same time stamp, titled
XenVbd. The second one is 'A pending interrupt was detected on device
\Device\Scsi\XenVbd1 during a timeout operation.  A large number of these
warnings may indicate that the system is not correctly  receiving or
processing interrupts from the device.' Since they occur at quite different
times than the log msgs that repeat the BSOD info, they probably correspond
to my attempts to access the cd while booted w/ /gplpv.

> If you haven't already, can you try with the cdrom removed from your
> configuration?

Done. I still get the same BSOD (assert error) when I try a domu to dom0 large
file xfer while using xennet (w/ or w/o /gplpv). Also, using netfront changes
nothing (except that the original Realtek  adapter is no longer there).:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0x80000003,0x805310DD,0x8054FFA8,0x00000000)