Re: [Xen-users] The real 0.6.5 release of Windows PV drivers

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] The real 0.6.5 release of Windows PV drivers
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 14:37:13 -0500
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 11:37:56 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sunday 03 February 2008 07:09:44 am James Harper wrote:
> This new release should fix that problem.
>
> http://www.meadowcourt.org/WindowsXenPV-0.6.5.zip

Ok, installed 0.6.5. You're getting closer. Booting with /gplpv doesn't result
in a BSOD anymore. The disk drives correctly report the Xen PV drivers in
charge, and only one network adapter, also controlled by Xen PV. Doing my
crude uncached large file copy benches, an intra domu copy took 10 secs, and
a different file copied from domu to dom0 took 31.

Booting w/o /gplpv, the disk driver is indeed QEMU. However, I'm still getting
two network adapters, the original Realtek, and the new Xen PV. The former
has to be disabled  since they use the same mac address. Doing my crude
uncached large file copy benches with the same 2 files, intra domu took 7
secs, and domu to dom0 resulted in the BSOD shown below (the same one I got
with my previous attempt at a file copy domu -> dom0 under 0.6.3). This same
domu to dom0 copy prior to installing any version of your drivers took 23
secs. So 7 secs vs. 10, and 23 vs. 31 - still slower w/ /gplpv.

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0x80000003,0x805310DD,0x8054FFA8,0x00000000)

(ps - Further testing has resulted in a couple of BSODs on domu to dom0 xfers
having booted *with* /gplpv, so it may be more related to xennet than xenvbd:

"A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or
been terminated.
[...]
*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003,0x81F60840,0x81F609B4,0x805D11F8)")

Furthermore, when booting w/o /gplpv my cd works fine, at least with the cd
the vm booted up with. Booting w/ /gplpv, clicking on CD Drive (D:) in My
Computer yields the error:

"Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could
be using a format that is not compatible with Windows."

And just to round things out, once after booting w/ /gplpv and shutting down
from within the hvm, my dom0 rebooted! And I have occaisionally gotten the
error message "Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts
not working." upon trying to re xm create the domain.

(pps - Great - now on my last hvm reboot chkdsk went crazy. It looks like I
have to reinstall all my user programs.)

Repeating my config:
Intel, everything 32bit PAE
xen.gz 3.1.0-rc7
kernel 2.6.21