Re: [Xen-users] Linux software RAID1 (Dom0 or domU)?

On Thursday 01 February 2007, Jensen Nathan A Capt USAFA/DFCS wrote:
> My fear is:
>
> 1.  I am totally hosed if my RAID server tanks

the 'standard' answer would be: "do a mirror (RAID 1) of your RAID boxes"; but
i think this could be interpreted at least two ways:

A)
- set your RAID servers in pairs
- use md to do RAID1 of each pair
- each RAID1 (of two RAID servers) is one PV in your big VG

.... but it's not clear 'who' does that RAID1

B)
- each RAID server is one PV in your big VG
- create two LVs for each volume you want, make sure they're on different PVs
- do a RAID1 of those two LVs
- feed that RAID1 device to Xen

since each volume is used only by one DomU at a time, it's clear that each
RAID1 is responsibility of only one Dom0

.... but i don't think md can take a pair of LVs to create a RAID1

so i wonder, can EVMS do it? i guess it can do something like (B), but don't
know it by heart

--
Javier