Re: [Xen-users] Linux software RAID1 (Dom0 or domU)?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Linux software RAID1 (Dom0 or domU)?
From: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:37:09 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 09:37:56 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thursday 01 February 2007, Petersson, Mats wrote:
> I agree that hardware raid is the leanest option (cpu-wise, maybe not
> for the bank).

most 'hardware raid' cards are far worse, both in performance and cpu-usage,
than the linux md module.

also, in RAID 1 all writes are done twice, so it has to go twice through dom0.
i guess it's a far worse thing than doing it all in dom0.  the md module is
_very_ lean and optimised.

for RAID 5 it might be even worse to do in domU, because to get good
performance it's very important to get whole stripes in cache.  to do in dom0
you'd need more RAM there than the minimum, but in several domU you'd have to
get the same 'extra' several times.

and, of course, if you do in Dom0, you can split it with LVM, and all domU's
benefit.

--
Javier