[Xen-users] Re: 100% safe way to backup domU: (was Yet another backup)

On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 03:24:33PM +0800, Tim Post wrote:

> Why would TCP be a bad idea, if the daemon had its own built in
> deny/allow functionality and ignored everything (including localhost)
> but dom-0 talking to it?

 How will you uniquely identify a domU using ipaddress? What if the domU
doesn't have network configured at all? Again, we need hard science. :-) It
should just work, and I shouldn't have to first muck around with all the
network configuration.

 hyperVM actually configures network automatically inside a virtual machine
from the outside, and does it for almost all the popular distros, but even
afterwards, it is very difficult to keep track of the ip and the vps, and also
one can never be sure with the network. It is possible that the user might want
to configure a firewall or something else that might prevent network
communication. Even otherwise, we have to find a channel that will not interfer
with the normal working AT ALL. It should be completely separate from services
that people normally use and that includes TCP.

 If you can convert your daemon to PPP, then I am all for it. YOu need a kernel
module to make sure that the daemon is always running though, but I think we
can have a monitor in the dom0 to keep pinging the daemon and alert the
administrator if it is not running.

 Thanks.