[Xen-users] Re: 100% safe way to backup domU: (was Yet another backup)

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 03:28:14AM +0000, Mark Williamson wrote:
> > > I don't think you actually need to sync in the guest if you're doing
> > > this, though.  You'll have all the dirty buffers in the save image
> > > anyhow, so flushing them to disk doesn't seem necessary.
> >
> >   If we don't sync, we won't be able to mount and backup. If we were
> > backing up the entire image, then yes, it will work without syncing.
> >
> >   xm save domU file
> >   backup entire image + file
> >   xm restore file
> >
> >   But if we want to mount and take proper incremental backup, we need the
> > filesystem to be consistent. Otherwise we will get very badly corrupted
> > data.
>
> Do you have to backing up the files from inside the image, rather than the
> image itself?

 Is there a way to get a complete image out of an LVM? The only way I found to
extract files from an LVM snapshot was to mount it, but when you do that you
are mounting a badly corrupted file system, and trying to take backup from it.
Of course, mounted incremental backups leads to greater flexibility, much
faster storage etc, but if you can tell me a way to get the image out of an
LVM, then that would suffice for now, and considering that rsync has a nice
protocol, it might even be faster, since it doesn't have to check so many
files. We have to keep taking binary diffs to have multiple incremental copies.

 Thanks.