Re: [Xen-users] Re: 100% safe way to backup domU: (was Yet another backu

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 15:48 -0200, Christopher G. Stach II wrote:
> Tim Post wrote:
> > My question is this, lets say we have a farm of 20 servers , all running
> > xen, each supporting 50 or so guests. That basically describes one of my
> > Xen farms.
> >
> > I want to centralize backups, not just where they are deposited but also
> > scheduling them. Or perhaps I want them stored locally on each dom-0,
> > but still want centralized scheduling. How would we accomplish this? It
> > seems a three part, not two part system would be best.
> >
> > I agree, if we're going to do it lets do it right .. and in the spirit
> > of that I've just thrown another wrench into the gears :P
> >
> > Best,
> > --Tim
>
> Domains can also have static UUIDs, useful if you are doing the backups
> from dom0.
>
> Why has nobody mentioned block level backups with multiple point-in-time
> backups, something like TimeMark?

Thought about that, space consideration comes to mind. We only need a
few things from each guest in some instances, could be as simple as just
a DB dump.

This is a more .. invasive solution wrt diving into userland from dom-0
being cooked up with the idea in mind that every GB of a drive not being
sold to a client is money wasted.

Not ruling something like it out as part of a solution, but more options
with better precision are really needed.

Best,
--Tim