RE: [Xen-users] Windows on XEN with Vanderpool

To: "Jerry Amundson" <jerry@xxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Windows on XEN with Vanderpool
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 17:55:24 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 May 2006 08:54:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

They are available for sale now - ok, so your local Fry's or PC World
may not have any in stock, but they are available to buy from AMD.

AMD's press-release:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~108605
,00.html

I managed to find at least one web-site that advertise the FX-62
processor (and several other AM2 processors) for sale, so it appears
that it is possible to order them from retailers.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?Edp
No=2207290&Sku=CP1-AM2-FX62&SRCCODE=CNETFEED&CMP=OTC-CNETFEED

I have no connection with the Tigerdirect company, it's purely a result
of googling for FX-62, which is one of the AM2 processors. I have no
clue whether this is a good, bad or ugly retailer...

All Athlon/Opteron/Turion brand products in AM2 sockets should have SVM
(please don't use Pacifica, as that's the internal code-name, and it is
under copyright by some other company... The proper terms are "AMD
Virtualization technology" or "Secure Virtual Machine", the latter
shortened to SVM.)

As the processor requires a new motherboard, there's less likelyhood for
the trouble that some people have had with Intel systems where the
enabling of VT doesn't work or isn't available...  As far as I know,
there are no Rev F processors that doesn't have virtualization, aside
from the Sempron models (which is one of the differentiating factors
between Sempron and the more expensive models - not sure what else
besides the obvious cache size differences... Although I can't find any
list of differences and there's currently no AM2 docuementation on the
Web-site, besides the simple compare products pages, which don't git
much details, unfortunately).

--
Mats