Re: [Xen-users] Windows on XEN with Vanderpool

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Windows on XEN with Vanderpool
From: dstjames <dstjames@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 13:03:26 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 May 2006 13:24:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Do you have a newbie guide to how you did this? I am trying to get xen to
load windows XP on SUSE 10.1.

I am trying to follow the instructions located here:
href="http://en.opensuse.org/Xen_Full_Virtualization_Example";>http://en.opensuse.org/Xen_Full_Virtualization_Example

The VM starts up but it gets to a point where its looking for hda (which is
my cd rom drive) and it fails. I have confirmed that hda is my cd drive with
the cd in it but I get this:

Waiting for device /dev/hda to appear: ..............................not
found -- exiting to /bin/sh

Here is a copy of my config file

# -*- mode: python; -*-
#============================================================================
# Python configuration setup for 'xm create'.
# This script sets the parameters used when a domain is created using 'xm
create'.
# You use a separate script for each domain you want to create, or
# you can set the parameters for the domain on the xm command line.
#============================================================================

def vmid_check(var, val):
val = int(val)
if val <= 0:
raise ValueError
return val

# Define the 'vmid' variable so that 'xm create' knows about it.
xm_vars.var('vmid',
use="Virtual machine id. Integer greater than 0.",
check=vmid_check)

# Check the defined variables have valid values.
xm_vars.check()

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Kernel image file and (optional) ramdisk (initrd).
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-xen"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-xen"

# Or use domUloader instead of kernel/ramdisk to get kernel from domU FS
#bootloader = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/domUlaoder.py"
#bootentry = "hda2:/vmlinuz-xen,/initrd-xen"
#bootentry = "/boot/vmlinuz-xen,/boot/initrd-xen"

# The domain build function. Default is 'linux'.
#builder='linux'

# Initial memory allocation (in megabytes) for the new domain.
memory = 128

# A name for your domain. All domains must have different names.
name = "Rescue%i" % vmid

# Which CPU to start domain on?
#cpu = -1 # leave to Xen to pick

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define network interfaces.

# Optionally define mac and/or bridge for the network interfaces.
# Random MACs are assigned if not given.
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:00:00:%02x, bridge=xenbr0' % vmid ]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define the disk devices you want the domain to have access to, and
# what you want them accessible as.
# Each disk entry is of the form phy:UNAME,DEV,MODE
# where UNAME is the device, DEV is the device name the domain will see,
# and MODE is r for read-only, w for read-write.
disk = [ 'file:/var/lib/xen/images/windisk.img,ioemu:hda,w' ]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Set the kernel command line for the new domain.
# You only need to define the IP parameters and hostname if the domain's
# IP config doesn't, e.g. in ifcfg-eth0 or via DHCP.
# You can use 'extra' to set the runlevel and custom environment
# variables used by custom rc scripts (e.g. VMID=, usr= ).

# Set if you want dhcp to allocate the IP address.
#dhcp = "dhcp"
# Set ip
#ip = "192.168.222.%i/27" % (8+vmid)
# Set netmask.
#netmask = "255.255.255.192"
# Set default gateway.
#gateway = "192.168.222.1"
# Set the hostname.
hostname= "rescue%d" % vmid

# Set root device, see disk def above.
root = "/dev/hda rw"

# Root device for nfs.
#root = "/dev/nfs"
# The nfs server.
#nfs_server = '169.254.1.0'
# Root directory on the nfs server.
#nfs_root = '/full/path/to/root/directory'

# Sets runlevel 3.
extra = "3"
cdrom='/dev/hda'
boot='d'
sdl=1
vnc=0
vncviewer=0
# Set according to whether you want the domain restarted when it exits.
# The default is 'onreboot', which restarts the domain when it shuts down
# with exit code reboot.
# Other values are 'always', and 'never'.

#restart = 'onreboot'