Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] vIOSAPIC and IRQs delivery

To: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>, "Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] vIOSAPIC and IRQs delivery
From: Tristan Gingold <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:37:32 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 09:34:28 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I really think this is pure theory.

IRQ lines were shared when hardware was costly: IBM-PC of 1981.
It is also less performant (we have to check all drivers) and less sure: what
about badly written drivers or fault tolerance?

Now IOSAPIC are cheap.  I don't know any ia64 vendor sharing IRQs on PCI bus.
Maybe I am wrong, but until now it is true.

Furthermore, PCI-e has no more IRQ lines.  IRQ are now in-band messages (MSI).
Thus sharing IRQs is not the future too.

Tristan.