RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] vIOSAPIC and IRQs delivery

To: "Tristan Gingold" <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>, "Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] vIOSAPIC and IRQs delivery
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 01:45:37 +0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 17:46:51 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

OK, interrupt domains are only one option provided together with other
two: share level-triggered irq line, and share vector number with multiple
RTEs. Term "You" here refers to vendors, instead of us software developers.
Vendors can support interrupt domains by providing multiple IOSAPICs, or
they may implement by sharing level-triggered irq line physically. From
VMM point of view, it shouldn't assume interrupt domains as the only
option, and has to cover all cases.

To me, it's also likely to imagine a mixed style: multiple IOSAPICs provided
by the platform with total irq lines less than number of interrupt sources. In
that case, people may partition interrupt domains, but finally still with irq
line
sharing even within local domain if it's electronically wired together. :-)

Thanks,
Kevin