RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] vIOSAPIC and IRQs delivery

To: "Tristan Gingold" <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>, "Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] vIOSAPIC and IRQs delivery
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 21:27:04 +0800
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:29:11 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please do right things right instead of putting uncertain stuff into "theory"
category.

>Now IOSAPIC are cheap.  I don't know any ia64 vendor sharing IRQs
>on PCI bus.
>Maybe I am wrong, but until now it is true.

"You don't know" doesn't mean "absence" or "even absence in the future".
Yes, I know few examples for models described on that ipf-interrupt
manual. However to me, the simple thing is to ensure architecture
correctness and completeness per architecture manual, instead of only
accommodating partial knowledge at one time.

>Furthermore, PCI-e has no more IRQ lines.  IRQ are now in-band
>messages (MSI).
>Thus sharing IRQs is not the future too.

Know little about PCI-e and can't say nothing. However I know one
important feature of virtualization is to support legacy platform.

Thanks,
Kevin