RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Xen is now runnnig at Bull

To: "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@xxxxxxxxx>, "Tristan Gingold" <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Xen is now runnnig at Bull
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:07:17 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 16:05:37 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Actually, it is conceivable that a single processor
machine would want to support more than 64 VMs so
it is very likely that a 48 processor machine would.
The limit of 64 is on the number of domains that
might be active, not necessarily simultaneously active.

I don't think rid virtualization helps here as there
are only 2**24 rids available and every domain will
use as many as it is given.  And there's no way to garbage
collect rids from a domain. So -- I think -- the only ways
to support more than 64 domains are:
1) Give each domain fewer than 2**18 rids, or
2) Flush the TLB whenever "necessary" when switching domains

The frequency of "necessary" could be reduced by using
a processor affinity hierarchy of some kind.  I suppose
this is a form of rid virtualization, but is more like
an extension (e.g. like PAE).

Dan