[Xen-ia64-devel] elilo allocations

To: <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] elilo allocations
From: "Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:32:26 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:30:26 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I think normally elilo will place parameters, initrd, etc. in higher end
>of physical memory, and it's unlikely to map all memories by one TR.
>Actually the alt dtlb miss fault is wanted for Xen to access all the
>physical memories. BTW, can you check whether 0x617ef90010 is legal
>address in a memory bank on your box?

Elilo just uses EFI allocator ... current implementation of EFI is
allocating from higher addresses (on Tiger it appears to choose high
addresses, but doesn't go over 2G/4G ... difficult to see whether it
is a 31 or 32 bit limit as there is no memory in the 2-4G range).

I think this may just be an implementation quirk.  The allocation
could be at any address, so Linux must be prepared to cope with
whatever it is passed.  It is definitely true that the existing
implementation ends up with these out of range of DTR[0] that is
mapping the kernel itself, so the Alt_DTLB handler must provide the
mapping when these objects are accessed.

-Tony