RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Xen is now runnnig at Bull

To: "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@xxxxxxxxx>, "Tristan Gingold" <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Xen is now runnnig at Bull
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:40:28 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:37:56 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> When the guest rid is not used anymore, the physical rid should be
> garbaged.
> A simple way to determine when the guest rid is not used can
> be done by
> looking at the VHPT table and machine TLB side.
> (Yes, a reference count needs to be introduced for each guest
> rid to track the
> entries in VHPT, and a special indicator in guest tlb to
> indicating if there are
> entries in physical TLB)

But once a rid is put in the machine TLB, there's no way
to guarantee that it won't be used sometime in the future
except by flushing the entire TLB, correct?  So it can't
be garbage collected except after a flush.

> Is it time for me to share what we thought of for rid
> virtualization in
> much details?

Although I greatly enjoy these technical conversations, I
guess I have to admit that supporting >64 domains is way
down on the priority list compared to all the other
functionality on our plate, so perhaps we should delay
further discussion of rid virtualization until the
future?

Dan