Re: [Xen-devel] Phoronix Xen vs KVM vs Virtualbox benchmark with Ubuntu

To: Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Boris Derzhavets <bderzhavets@xxxxxxxxx>, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Phoronix Xen vs KVM vs Virtualbox benchmark with Ubuntu 11.10
From: Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 17:07:27 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx>, dokter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 10:12:19 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--On 2 November 2011 13:34:21 +0000 Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was able to load Oneiric as PV on HVM at Xen 4.1.2 Oneiric Dom0
(3.1.0-030100-generic)  after rebuilding the recent 3.1.0-3 Ubuntu's
kernel with
CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI=y , uploading debian packages  :-

I very much doubt the reviewer did this. The -server variant (certainly
on one of the Oneiric pre-releases) had CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI=m so
it should have been brought in by modprobe. I would guess -virtual
is the same. The installer OTOH does /not/ have the module in the udeb
which is an omission.

Actually, my mistake. -server does include CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI
but
/lib/modules/3.0.0-12-server/kernel/drivers/xen/xen-platform-pci.ko
(at the very least) is not being built into the initrd for some
reason, even on the distributed version.

I somehow doubt the Phoronix guys built their own kernel.  That
would imply they were using emulated disks.

--
Alex Bligh