Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Xen Virtual Framebuffer

To: Gerd Knorr <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Xen Virtual Framebuffer
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:28:38 -0600
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jon Smirl <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:30:51 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gerd Knorr wrote:

Another strategy for input would be to use USB input devices and the
USB over IP stack (or Xen USB support) to shift the devices between
domains.

To handle remote display you need a xenconsoled-like helper application in domain0 anyway (which for example could export the display via vnc). That gives you remote input (via vnc or whatever protocol) almost for free as well, and I think application-wise it is much more convinient to take this route instead of using hid-over-virtualusb-over-ip.

http://hg.codemonkey.ws/vncfb/

Is my first pass at a VNC server btw.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Installing multiple keyboards, USB audio devices, mice and multiple
video cards is one way to achieve multiuser computing.

It's kida silly though to assign a domain some physical keyboard and a virtual framebuffer.

It might suddenly make much more sense once we can assign pci devices to domU's again, so you can setup a domU with both real display and keyboard, but thats completely unrelated to the virtual framebuffer ;)

cheers,

  Gerd