Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Xen Virtual Framebuffer

To: mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Xen Virtual Framebuffer
From: Jon Smirl <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 20:13:32 -0500
Cc: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 01:13:54 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 06 Dec 2005 00:53:14 +0000, M.A. Williamson <maw48@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And as another also: a big usability benefit of having the framebuffer is
> that users don't have to have a working network or install any extra
> software. It's just a transparency thing; you don't really *need* it but it
> makes domUs behave more like "proper" machines.

You don't need a network outside of the box; you just treat all of the
domains as being wired together with a virtual network inside of the
box.  X already uses Unix domain sockets to talk between apps and the
X server. I would expect a virtualized network running inside the box
to have about the same performance as Unix domain sockets. The X
server already support this socket model today, no new code needs to
be written, Xen just needs to provide the internal virtual network.

> It should also give better performance, as James mentioned. Eventually,
> it'd be nice to support accelerated OpenGL in domUs but that may be some
> way off.

Virtual framebuffer is not going to give you better performance than
the X socket system. I wrote this paper a while ago, it should give
you a good feel of the complexities involved.
http://dri.freedesktop.org/~jonsmirl/graphics.html

> Cheers,
> Mark
>
> On Dec 6 2005, James Harper wrote:
>
> >Some things just work better when you can enable shared memory
> >extensions under X, which obviously can't be done over the network.
> >
> >Also, X isn't the only thing that can make use of a framebuffer.
> >
> >James

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx