Re: Multiple netif device channels (was Fw: [Xen-devel] Xen on /. again)

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 05:52:23PM +0000, Mark Williamson wrote:
> > That's fine. Yeah, i marked the backend domain as a netif domain, started
> > it up, inserted the domain ID into the config for the frontend domain
> > (hassle, but necessary as the current code only takes an ID, and not a
> > name), and started up the frontend domain. The additional interface showed
> > up in the frontend domain, but nothing appeared in the backend.
>
> Remind me: is the frontend having netifs attached to two different backends?
> What happens if you try to attach both netifs to the driver domain (not
> dom0)?

Attempted layout is as follows:

Dom0 - single physical network adaptor
       netif backend

DomU1 - no physical network adaptor
        netif backend
        netif frontend -> Dom0

DomU2 - no physical network adaptor
        netif frontend -> Dom0
        netif frontend -> DomU1

Interfaces for all the frontends appear inside the relevant domains, but the
only the 2 dom0 backend vifs appear; nothing shows up inside domU1.

I'll try connecting DomU2 only to DomU1 wrt networking when i next get a chance.

> Do you have any experience in the Xend guts?  You could try turning on
> tracing
> at the top of messages.py and observe exactly what control interface messages
> are being sent.  This is likely to be quite tedious but may allow you to
> infer what information about netifs is flowing between the domains.  You may
> also want to instrument the probing code in netfront.c and netback.c.

A little bit. i'll try and see if i can see what's happening with it. At a
minimum it'd give me a trace i can post that might help someone else figure
out what's going on.

> Sorry not to be more helpful,

np,

Jody Belka