xen-cim

RE: [Xen-cim] Today's meeting and testing strategy

To: "Jim Fehlig" <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-cim] Today's meeting and testing strategy
From: "Szymanski, Lukasz K" <Lukasz.Szymanski@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:29:17 -0400
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:28:13 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jim -

> Without thinking about it too much we can probably use a combination
of cimtester (for testing all of the CIM/WBEM intrinsics you mentioned
> above) and something similar to xm test for testing the extrinsics.
> E.g. build a ramdisk that can then be used for DefineSystem and so on.

> A ramdisk could be built and used as image for DefineSystem.  Could we
call out to external tests from cimtester that will define some guests
and then > > use cimtester to verify all of the intrinsics?

Cimtester has the following option with almost every type of test:

<RunExternalPreTestCommand>
        /usr/bin/test
        <CommandArg>-f</CommandArg>
        <CommandArg>/etc/blahblah</CommandArg>
        <FailOnUnknownCode>false</FailOnUnknownCode>
        <FailCode>0</FailCode>       <!-- we expect file to not be there
-->
</RunExternalPreTestCommand>

If we run this as the first test in the whole suite, we should be able
to create whatever guests we want and run tests against them.

> We'll also have to test vm lifecycle through
Xen_ComputerSystem.RequestStateChange - but I'm assuming this can be
done with cimtester as well.

Without actually trying it yet, I would assume so based on the existence
of the InvokeMethod Test which "will invoke the method specified by the
methodName attribute on each object path specified" according to the
cimtester docs.

As to the previous posting - many of those errors were there because of
not having many providers actually being there completely (Invalid
Provider errors).  It might be worth some effort to get the minimum code
in place to at least pass the Sanity Test.  I have gone through the rest
of those errors and deciphered most of them.  I can post my findings to
make reading the test results easier.

Of course, if there is something you want us to work on to get SP1 off
and running, let us know and we will reprioritize our efforts.

Luke