xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] Today's meeting and testing strategy

To: "Szymanski, Lukasz K" <Lukasz.Szymanski@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-cim] Today's meeting and testing strategy
From: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:20:17 -0600
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:19:06 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Szymanski, Lukasz K wrote:

> Sorry, I showed up to work 10 minutes after we were supposed to
> start.  Raj is away this week and next.  What did we discuss, if anything?

Only Raj and I.  Raj called in from the airport so I didn't want to keep
him long :-).  We discussed his patches which move the providers to
unstable.  I have the patches up and going here and have done some
minimal testing.  I have not had an opportunity to address the issues he
noted when posting the patches.  Perhaps I will have time on the flight
to Xen Summit.

> I wanted to talk about our general testing strategy.  I have cimtester
> working and it can do all kinds of things like call EnumInstances,
> InvokeMethod, Associations, References, GetInstance, Sanity (I posted
> some of those results before), Create/Delete/ModifyInstance,
> EnumInstanceNames, AssociatorNames, ReferenceNames.  All you need is
> an xml input file with all the classes you want tested (for each kind
> of test).  You can also call external tests, and I have been working
> on some shell scripts to create this xml file for some of the various
> tests.  This is one way to go.  If nothing else, this is a pretty good
> stress test.

I saw your post and have not ignored it - just haven't had time to take
a closer look :-(.  Needless to say I will be glad when SP1 ships.

> The other type of test to consider is an imitation of xm test.  There
> is not much documentation on this, but I could go in and figure out
> exactly what they do and try to copy that behavior via the CIM providers.

Without thinking about it too much we can probably use a combination of
cimtester (for testing all of the CIM/WBEM intrinsics you mentioned
above) and something similar to xm test for testing the extrinsics.
E.g. build a ramdisk that can then be used for DefineSystem and so on.
A ramdisk could be built and used as image for DefineSystem.  Could we
call out to external tests from cimtester that will define some guests
and then use cimtester to verify all of the intrinsics?

We'll also have to test vm lifecycle through
Xen_ComputerSystem.RequestStateChange - but I'm assuming this can be
done with cimtester as well.

Thanks for spending some time on this Luke.  I agree that this is
highest priority - along with getting all of the current provider
functionality working on 3.0.5.  Now, if I could only get SP1 off my
back ...

Regards,
Jim