[Xen-users] LVM's inside of Domu's

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] LVM's inside of Domu's
From: Donny Brooks <dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:34:01 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:35:19 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Back when I started messing with Xen (a year or so ago), I read where it was
not good to have a domu setup with LVM inside of it if the storage on the Dom0
was LVM also. Basically this would be a nested LVM situation or similar.
However, I find myself installing more and more CentOS domu's since my Dom0
machine has to be CentOS to use the dell OMSA stuff for monitoring and all.
This is not an issue, other than by default CentOS uses LVM and I have to
manually edit the partition table of the domu.

Is there any benefit/drawback to having/not having LVM domu's? Here are a few I
can think of off the top of my head:

Good reason to have LVM in domu:
internal snapshot feature
"plug and play" with a centos system (no manually editing the partition table
on install)

Possible drawbacks to having LVM in domu:
cannot mount /dev/foo/lv from dom0 and see filesystem
possible slowdown?

Looking for any and all feedback on this. Thanks in advance!

--

Donny B.