Re: [Xen-users] Most stable Xen distro?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Most stable Xen distro?
From: Dimitri Puzin <max@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:45:00 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 06:46:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi list,

I have 14 xen servers running debian 4.0 with my own kernel based on
official xen-3.2 sources with backported userspace. The systems are
arranged into a cluster with iscsi storage. So far the performance and
stability of the setup is the best I've seen. I started off with debian
4.0/stable (xen-3.0.3, IIRC) and gradually moved with the upstream
making (backports from the testing tree) to xen-3.2. I use self-built
kernels. That works rock-solid. There are still a number of smaller
clusters (1-4 dom0's) which are running the default release which comes
with debian 4.0, but there I haven't experience any problems so far,
therefore I am not planning to update them any time soon.

My repo (without kernel images) is available from

deb http://www.psycast.de/local-pkgs etch main
The repo is signed with

max@nostromo:~$ gpg --fingerprint 0x7a42aa98
pub   1024D/7A42AA98 2005-12-30
      Key fingerprint = 63CF CDB8 0CFC EF28 AFAB  E277 C955 D031 7A42 AA98
uid                  Dimitri Puzin <max@xxxxxxxxxx>
sub   4096g/BBC2A86E 2005-12-30

If anybody is interested, I can provide a .config. There are still some
issues with installation of the kernel into grub (the detection of the
xen image doesn't happen correctly).

I've heard other reports (off-list) that RH/CentOS working at least as
good. I prefer debian due to the nature of the whole setup here.

I am also giving ubuntu a try from time to time, but so far I experience
it as less stable (packaging, setup) than "real" debian.

But that's just my experience. YMMV.

Regards,
-Dimitri Puzin