Re: [Xen-users] Most stable Xen distro?

To: "Steve Lamb" <grey@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Most stable Xen distro?
From: "Emre ERENOGLU" <erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 23:30:33 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 14:31:08 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=+tOqT2No/Xd/xnjW/OpNzF36R4p/A9U+PybLRKFDAdY=; b=GMe18gc/0N0/QYFKNm9xrpN6Lsk1M9fTBoga6RYrCdTTnA0QqTNv9IXYxqJ94W7ugaGwZKPRvjaGXvDrHJ/vypvhBJ5SDll/DW+rxjHWFFIE8KV29e9PauDqguuhwz1ARuaB4L243VZ8gRLk1dWymN5D4G3ufCzAbm55ao0p0fY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I had all sorts of problems with Ubuntu packaged Xen.

However, I'm now running a Xen 3.2 testing with 2.6.18-xen kernel, all of which I compiled and installed myself from mercurial repositories. It works flawless with PV and HVM guests. My only complaint is that this 2.6.18 kernel is rather old and don't detect all my hardware (like hw sensors)

Emre

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:21 PM, Steve Lamb <grey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, April 7, 2008 11:35 am, Doug Breshears wrote:
> Is there a consensus on which distro is the best for running a Xen dom0?
> I have tried Debian Etch (Xen 3.0.3/2.4.18 kernel) but it was having
> problems with the domU's thinking the (virtual) hard drive was bad.

   I don't know if there is a consensus but so far my experience with
Debian's implementation of Xen has been less than stellar.  I am having
a severe problem getting it running on Etch on my router/server.  So
much so that it is doing things I don't think Xen is supposed to do!
Meanwhile I tested it on my laptop, also Debian Etch, and it worked
first time.

   As much as I loathe not recommending Debian or its children I think
CentOS is the most stable right now.  Seems like the boys in red are
really doing their hardest to make Xen a true part of the base set with
very robust integration and support.

--
Steve Lamb

Emre Erenoglu