Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0 Zombies?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0 Zombies?
From: James Henderson <his_jimboness@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 06:56:08 -0700
Cc: Martin Schipany <elcondor@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:56:40 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Martin Schipany wrote:
> Hi!
>
> When I tried to start a domU where the root-device (/dev/md/5) was still
> mounted in the dom0, I got an error about the dev being mounted. A "xm
> destroy domain" resulted in a Zombie and a Kernel-Ooops (following below).
> When I tried to start the domain after unmounting the device, it shows up
> in "xm list", but doesn't start (but can be destroyed)
>
> Is there anything I can do about the zombies exept for KILLING the xend
> process? shutting down doesn't work, since it tries to shutdown/destroy the
> zombies ...

Hi Martin,

I don't have an answer to this, and from everything I've read these
zombies are not easily killed.

But, I want to draw more attention to this, because I'm having similar
problems, and yes, my test server will hang when shutting down as well.

Another thing that bothered me is that the command:
xm shutdown --all --wait --halt
was destroying my domains, but they hadn't even finished shutting down
yet.  In fact, they were destroyed before the file systems were even
unmounted.  So much for data integrity.

Then I found that a timeout was killing them prematurely.  Naturally I
searched through all configuration files, but didn't find the timeout.
It was hard-coded in python/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py.  I've changed
it, but hard-coding something like this gives me an uneasy feeling.

These situations have prevented me from releasing Xen 3 in a stable
environment.

Okay, I've done my due diligence with Xen 3 and I won't put it on my
stable servers.  However, I take issue with the front page of the
www.xensource.com web page.  There's a big icon that says "Xen 3.0 Now
in Community Release!"

Then, you go to the download page to download 3.0.1:
"The downloads on this page have been built from the Xen 3.0.1 open
source community code base. They have undergone very limited testing,
are not supported in any way whatsoever, and will be fixed on a
best-effort basis only."

I'm sorry Xen project managers, but if Xen 3 isn't ready for production,
then please draw more attention to the Xen 2.0 on the Xensource web
page.  Or at least, on the Xen 3 downloads page, include a link for Xen
2 and state that *that's* what should be used in a stable environment.

I worry about people who haven't done testing on Xen 3 and have decided
to run Xen 3 in a production setting.

-James