Re: [Xen-users] Re: No network connectivity for domU in SuSE 10, Xen

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 06:48 -0500, John S Little wrote:
> On domainU I have the following:
> linux:~ # ifconfig
> (loopback omitted)
> eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:40:D0:43:A3:DB

Did you set xend.sxp to use eth1 instead of eth0?

DOH!  That was it! I didn't see that option in ANY of the xen network connectivity documentation I've read. Thanks for the help!

So now at least the static addressing works when I set the address in the ifcfg-eth0 file in domU. DHCP won't grab an address - if there's an easy fix for this then I'd like to know, but this box is going to get static addresses in the end.

My biggest problem now is that SuSE isn't bringing up the network device on domU boot and I'm wondering if this is because it's not actually seeing the hardware at boot.

On domU my ifcfg-eth0 reads:
BOOTPROTO='none'
IPADDR=192.168.1.39
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
STARTMODE='onboot'  <-- Tried with 'auto' as well
USERCONTROL=no

I don't know if it matters but the file /etc/udev/rules.d/30-net_persistent_names.rules reads:
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION="" SYSFS{address}=="aa:00:00:00:39:01", IMPORT="/sbin/rename_netiface %k eth0"

The network arguments in the config file for this xm on dom0 read:
nics=1
vif = [ 'mac=aa:00:00:00:39:01, bridge=xenbr0' ]

I've tried specifying the full ip, gateway, netmask, etc in the xm config file as well as the ifcfg-eth0 file in domU and it seems to ignore whatever I set in the xm config file. Am I once again missing something?

Thanks!
-Kris

Regards,

John