Re: [Xen-users] Converting a standalone system into a Xen guest?

To: Steve Kemp <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Converting a standalone system into a Xen guest?
From: "Jonathan D. Proulx" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 12:13:09 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 17:24:15 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 04:39:13PM +0000, Steve Kemp wrote:
:
:  I've got a couple of old, but working, SuSE 7 machines which
: I'd like to transfer to Xen guests.
:
:  What would be the best way of going about this?

I'm sort of stumbling along myself but what I did (and worked with my
debian host conversion) was just to use tar.  I created a tar file and
scp'ed it to the Xen system as I was using it as a template system for
multiple guests.  If you create and mount the filesystem on your Dom0:

tar cf - / | netcat | tar xf -

should do it.

I wasn't able to present a whole disk (/dev/sda) to the guest only
partitions (/dev/sda1), though I really didn't try hard, so I don't
know if it's meant to work or not.

The kernel will be booted from your Dom0 filesystem so you don't need
that in your DomU, though if you need modules those will need to be in
your DomU.

-jon