Re: [Xen-devel] Weekly VMX status report. Xen: #18846 & Xen0: #749

To: "Nakajima, Jun" <jun.nakajima@xxxxxxxxx>, Gianluca Guida <gianluca.guida@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Weekly VMX status report. Xen: #18846 & Xen0: #749
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 15:40:51 +0000
Cc: "Li, Haicheng" <haicheng.li@xxxxxxxxx>, "'xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Li, Xin" <xin.li@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 07:41:11 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 13/12/2008 15:14, "Nakajima, Jun" <jun.nakajima@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Well, I vote for leaving EFER_NX always on then. It makes the code
>> simpler too. Anyone against this?
>
> Agree. Modern VMX-capable processors can save/restore Guest/Host IA32_EFER in
> the VMCS at VM exit/entry time, and I don't expect additional overheads from
> that.
>
> So the options are:
> 1. Enable that feature (does not help old processors, though), or
> 2. If the guest does not enable NX but the processor does, set/reset NX at VM
> entry/exit. We are already handling other bits (e.g. SCE).

I'm not clear what your position is from the above. I should point out that
we don't mess with EFER on vmentry/vmexit at all right now. We fix up
EFER.SCE and other bits on context switch, but not on every entry/exit.

I think you agree that we don't need to keep guest 'actual' EFER.NX in sync
with its 'shadow' EFER.NX?

 -- Keir