Re: [Xen-devel] xen 2.0.1, 2.4.27, 2.6.9, non-bridge

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 01:30:55AM -0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > I use a mix of routing and bridging myself.
> >
> > I treat dom0 as a router connected to a switch. eth0, my physical nic,
> > is on subnet A, and xen-br0 (which i create at boot, so i disable the
> > xend network script) is on subnet B. I then just enable ip forwarding,
> > and hook new domains up to xen-br0 as normal. Works really well.
>
> Interesting. Any particular reason why you do this? Using iptables
> netfilter I guess you could probably get the same effect with just a
> bridge.

Well, although it's not running yet, i'm intending on running OSPF on
both my xen boxes and my router. Unsure if that would play well or not
with using netfilter for it, whereas i know this should work.

> Since the hosts main IP addresses are presumably on subnet A, I don't
> see why the bridge couldn't be brought up by the network script -- you
> just don't want to do the IP address transfer, so remove the
> transfer_addresses and transfer_routes lines.

Well, it's nice to manage the networking through the system scripts.
Keeps the xen-br0 configuration together with that of eth0. Also i'm
assigning an IP to the bridge, as I need an IP on subnet B to act as the
gateway addr anyway, and it also leads to the routing "just working".

Jody Belka
knew (at) pimb (dot) org