RE: [Xen-devel] xen 2.0.1, 2.4.27, 2.6.9, non-bridge

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, James Harper wrote:

> > Configuring a bridge is a multi-step process.  At one point during the
> > process, normal communication is severed over eth0, while the bridge
> > itself is
> > not yet fully functional.
> > At this point, the root filesystem is no longer available, and the
> machine
> > falls over.
>
> I wonder if you could do this:
>
> 1. mount a tmpfs somewhere
> 2. copy in enough libs etc to make #4 work
> 3. chroot to the new tmpfs
> 4. set up the bridge and transfer the address across
> 5. leave the chroot environment

I  had a version that did that.

nfsroot a small bootstrap system.
copy root to tmpfs.
pivot_root
setup bridge
start portmap
mount real nfsroot
kill portmap
pivot_root
continue boot

All steps worked, except that after continuing the boot, I kept getting odd
issues out no free locks.  I got fustrated, and trying the ip routing
approach.

Note that the above does not use an initrd.  Using a real nfsroot system makes
it easier to update.