Re: [Xen-devel] More on networking hang

To: Rob Gardner <rob.gardner@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] More on networking hang
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 04:59:36 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 05:23:02 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Looks as though perhaps the connection-tracking table is full. :-)

If you are churning through a lot of TCP connections then the
conntrack table may be full of defunct TCBs in TIME WAIT (2MSL)
state.

Not sure what the best solution is: when we were doing evaluation
tests for our paper we disabled connection tracking (which means that
things like NAT are unavailable). I haven't looked around, but there
may well be a way to tell Linux to reuse TCBs in TIME WAIT state.

This would exaplain networking drop-outs. No more connections can be
made until some old TCBs are garbage collected, after a 120s timeout.

 -- Keir