Re: [Xen-devel] network hang

To: James Harper <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] network hang
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 03:23:01 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 03:25:53 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"full queue wasn't stopped" should never be printed. If you can
reproduce this message then it is worth printing some more info at th
esame point -- for example, np->tx->req_prod, np->tx->resp_prod,
np->tx_resp_cons. This will let us see whether the ring is indeed full.
If the network stack/driver has got itself into a state wher eit can print
this message, I'm not surprised it hangs for a while.

e.g., add this where that message gets printed in netfront.c:

 {
   unsigned long flags;
   local_irq_save(flags);
   printk(KERN_ALERT "full=%d req_prod=%08x rsp_prod=%08x"
          "rsp_cons=%08x\n", np->tx_full, np->tx->req_prod,
          np->tx->resp_prod, np->tx_resp_cons);
   local_irq_restore(flags);
 }

 -- Keir

> I'm playing with nbd+raid1, and am finding that during a resync the network
> in xenU is dying and simply not sending packets anymore. At first I thought
> this was a bridging problem, but in xen0 I have removed the vif from the
> bridge and given it its own ip address, and given the eth interface in xenU a
> similar ip address, but no traffic is passing anymore.
>
> After a while though, it seemed to come good again and I was able to add the
> interface to the bridge again and it started working.
>
> The only strange thing in the kernel logs was this in xenU:
>
> eth0: full queue wasn't stopped!
>
> but i'm not sure at what point this was logged though.
>
> James
 -=- MIME -=-
--_5CA9A503-EEF7-4FB1-8592-2E2052031B95_

I'm playing with nbd+raid1, and am finding that during a resync the network=
 in xenU is dying and simply not sending packets anymore. At first I though=
t this was a bridging problem, but in xen0 I have removed the vif from the =
bridge and given it its own ip address, and given the eth interface in xenU=
 a similar ip address, but no traffic is passing anymore.

After a while though, it seemed to come good again and I was able to add th=
e interface to the bridge again and it started working.

The only strange thing in the kernel logs was this in xenU:

eth0: full queue wasn't stopped!

but i'm not sure at what point this was logged though.

James

--_5CA9A503-EEF7-4FB1-8592-2E2052031B95_

<HTML dir=3Dltr><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I'm playing with nbd+raid1=
, and am finding that during a resync the network in xenU is dying and simp=
ly not sending packets anymore. At first I thought this was a bridging prob=
lem, but in xen0 I have removed the vif from the bridge and given it its ow=
n ip address, and given the eth interface in xenU a similar ip address, but=
 no traffic is passing anymore.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>After a while though, it seemed to come go=
od again and I was able to add the interface to the bridge again and it sta=
rted working.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The only strange thing in the kernel logs =
was this in xenU:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>eth0: full queue wasn't stopped!<BR></DIV>=
</FONT>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>but i'm not sure at what point this was lo=
gged though.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>James</FONT></DIV>

--_5CA9A503-EEF7-4FB1-8592-2E2052031B95_--