Re: [Xen-API] grub/cmdline

To: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] grub/cmdline
From: John Levon <john.levon@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 01:35:06 +0000
Cc: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 17:28:32 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 09:44:05PM +0000, Ewan Mellor wrote:

> vm.grub.cmdline

I'm not too happy with the eternal encoding of "grub" as the only internal
method. It doesn't cover other methods, and, for example, on Solaris, we won't
be using grub at all.

> Grub means "parse the grub config file inside the guest, and boot
> appropriately".  grub.cmdline is _supposed_ to be a way of specifying "select
> this particular label from the config file" or "append these parameters to the
> kernel command line before you boot" or mixtures of the two.  Is that feasible
> with one string?

I can't see how it could. Also, I find it somewhat worrying that this implies
that I can't see the kernel/ramdisk/extra chosen by pygrub when it is used.
Shouldn't I be able to see these no matter what? Imagine a "show me all domains
running linux-2.7.19-security-hole" style things.

> > Presumably when 'xm create' is implemented in terms of 'xm new', then the
> > defaults described above would be implemented in xend only.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Could you elaborate?

Currently this would have to happen in two places: xm/create.py and inside
xend. I presumed that create.py only existed because the .py-backend for xend
'new' operation isn't yet implemented, and xm create because xm new ; xm start

> > Is the API document being updated to reflect the code changes and vice
> > versa?
>
> That's the intention!  If there's confusion, asking here is definitely the
> right thing to do -- there are lots of things that are unimplemented still,
> and still some things (like booting) that are unclear in the docs too.

I wish I had more time to follow up on these things, but I'll certainly ask
where confusion/problems arise. Is there a "constant-latest" link for the API
spec? Or maybe even a wiki?

regards
john