Re: [Xen-API] grub/cmdline

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 02:09:34PM +0000, Ewan Mellor wrote:

> > I think 'entry' needs renaming as it's only really meaningful for a menu.lst
> > based method.
>
> What would you want to call it?  I was thinking that if you have a bootloader
> with a menu, you'd use entry, and if you didn't, entry would be blank.  Is
> there something else that you'd want to use this field for?

It isn't that I have something in mind particularly. It's just that, firstly,
the legacy config has 'bootloader_args', and it seems kind of odd to map it to
'entry', and secondly, that we can't really predict how we'll be booting
domains in 10 year's time. I agree it's just a quibble, but I don't see a
problem in using 'bootloader_params' or 'bootloader_args'.

> > Your description above doesn't cover the case where neither bootloader NOR
> > kernel are set. With my changes, this uses the 'default' bootloader (namely
> > pygrub). This needs spelling out in the API doc.
>
> I'd intended that this particular case would be a flagged error, and pygrub
> would only ever be used if explicitly specified.  I don't have a strong
> opinion on that -- we could do it your way if you prefer.

Well, the intention is that given a random domain, xend knows by default how to
boot it, thus making the common case ("boot the default"/"give me grub menu")
the natural default with no extra configuration needed.

regards,
john