[Xen-users] Home Xen hypervisor for master's project

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Home Xen hypervisor for master's project
From: Joseph Commisso <commissoje@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 15:02:52 -0500
Delivery-date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 12:04:11 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

Could somebody please help me with a few hardware questions?

I am building a home Xen server to implement a Xen Cloud for my
master's project comparing SOA.
I will probably use Linux guest OSs, but I may want to use a Windows
guest for home PC use.

I have been trying to make a decision on the CPU and motherboard to
purchase and really could use some help.

I have read the wiki post at:
http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/VTdHowTo?highlight=(vtd)

1) For my purposes, is IOMMU important?
If so, then also, for my purposes, it looks like the ASUS Crosshair IV
Formula may be a good choice.

** I would appreciate any input, as to the Crosshair or other, like the M4A89TD.

Now for the CPU and I have really not been able to determine how many
cores is optimal for this server.
I have a knowledgeable coworker who says that three cores is optimal
and I have not been able to find information to support that or
dispute it.

2) The Phenom II series seems to be attractive, so I have been
concentrating on those, but can someone also help me with the X3, X4,
or X6 decision?

Thanks,
Joe